What I’m Contemplating
- Rands Information Practices – Great tips on managing your information diet as well as stealing precious seconds (that add up to minutes then hours) in your daily workflows.
- Our Roth Regrets // The Roth IRA Strategy We Wish We’d Built – I still follow the financial independence / early retirement (FIRE) community closely. Some good tips here for those of you in the earlier stages.
- Why Cheap Beer Is Still Awesome (And 5 You Should Enjoy This Summer) – Put me down for PBR. Important omission: Yuengling.
- Tom Russell on Hollandspiele plans – I’m starting to really like this company and their creativity (and their prolific publishing schedule). Confession: I haven’t played any of their games yet, so all I know is from reading reviews.
- “I Was Devastated”: Tim Berners-Lee, the Man Who Created the World Wide Web, Has Some Regrets – I understand his points but I’m not sure a new software package or platform is going to solve the problems.
What I’m Coding
- I continue to enhance our Keuka Komplishments app. Fun to have a sandbox like this that people are actually using.
- I’m building a lightweight Reddit clone for my upcoming Microservice Architecture class at Western Oregon. I’m building a monolithic app as a starting point for the class from which we will go through a series of refactorings into microservice architecture.
- Python Idioms: Multiline Strings – I’m dialed in deeply to the Python community (podcasts, blogs, etc.) in the hopes of dramatically improving my inherent understanding and memory of the language and APIs.
What I’m Listening To
- First Listen: Lera Lynn, ‘Plays Well With Others’ – This is a collection of collaborations. Easy listening country, and not the pop kind.
- Even On ‘Passwords,’ Dawes Can’t Hide Its Big, Bleeding Heart – I’m enjoying this one a lot.
What I’m Playing
With guests that are gamers hanging around the last two weeks, a lot was played. Rather than bullet list each, here’s the scoop: Dominion, Fort Sumter, Wits & Wagers, A Handful of Stars, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, 18NEB, Dixit, Jump Drive, Codenames, Jaipur, Ninety-Nine, Villages of Valeria, and Rummikub.
Speaking of Fort Sumter, there’s a nice overview of the game at The Player’s Aid.