Wednesday What’s Up
What I’m Reading
- Tao of Seneca – Free PDFs – This is more of a pointer if you want to get a taste of what the stoic thing is all about.
- Finished reading Think Python and I didn’t think it was very good. I wouldn’t use it for a CS class. There are better intro books and I’ll try to mention some later.
What I’m Listening To
- Jeff Tweedy - Together at Last – Yes, I’m a Tweedy fanboy going back to the 80s so I’ll always listen to his new stuff. I love his acoustic sets because I can pick apart his songs and find new ways to play them on the guitar.
- First Listen: Offa Rex, ‘The Queen of Hearts’ – Thought I’d like this more with The Decemberists involved, but alas no.
What I’m Contemplating
- I like programming again
- How You Can Make Serious Money By Learning To Code On Vacation – Is this the developer of tomorrow?
- 79 Websites To Get Freelance Jobs Fast – They went scrounging for this article and I can tell you some of the sites they point to are unlikely to help you find a job. I’m not even sure they are all active. Still, I’m doing some deep diving here to learn more about this economy.
- I went from sedentary academic to 100-mile marathon runner—thanks to the science of self-control – I didn’t see a lot of science discussed in this article, other than “self discipline means you can run 100 miles!”
- URLs are UI – I haven’t always done a good job maintaining good URLs but I care about them and make attempts to preserve when I can. Most sites do not. Just go scroll through some of my old posts and follow the links - I bet only 10% work. Even some to my own site.
- The Golden Age of Bailing – I’ve noticed this, have you?
What I’m Playing
- The Great Dalmuti – One my all time favorite large-group games that isn’t a party game. Plus you get to wear funny hats.
- Tichu – The next step up from The Great Dalmuti is… Tichu! Always love this partner game and I was able to introduce two new people in a late-night game with Matthew.
- Played the classic Catan with Geoff and Mike. I don’t love this game but will always play it. Always seems to be a slog, even when I’m winning.
- I introduced Geoff to the 2-playerAgricola: All Creatures Big and Small and he enjoyed it. I love this quick-playing farm game.
- No Thanks! – good even with four players.