A while back I talked about some of my musical interests. This post prompted some helpful comments that pointed me to some other artists. Here are some thoughts on stuff I’ve been listening to lately.
- Jeff – thanks for the pointer to Josh Rouse’s 1972. I love this album – right up my alley. The retro sound makes it such a period piece – perfect when mixed in with some Neil Young and Carole King from 1972.
- Mike – thanks for the pointer to Iron & Wine. Great stuff. Not as wild about Neko Case, but she’s growing on me.
- After reading Wilco: Learning How to Die I was compelled to revisit all of Wilco’s catalog plus Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. Wilco gets better and better with age- I would say they are underrated but I think most people rate them pretty highly. At least those that know who they are; all 300,000 of us or so. I also picked up the Mermaid Avenue collaborations with Billy Bragg – their take on a collection of Woodie Guthrie’s unrecorded lyrics. I also watched I Am Trying to Break Your Heart for the second time while waiting in the Miami airport to return after the cruise.
- Brian Wilson’s Smile. I feel like I stepped into a time machine – it is amazing being able to pick this CD up and listen to it for the first time. Was this what it was like hearing Pet Sounds after its original release?
- Neil Young’s Tonight’s the Night.
- Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska.
- Bob Dylan’s Blonde on Blonde.